The last time this was held in Roscrea was June 1979. The branch was originally founded in 1961. The first meeting which was held in the Central Hotel was attended by John Keavey, Brother Collins, Davy Collins, Pat Shanahan and Eamon de Stafford, and the following officers were elected. Chairman, Brother Collins, - Vice Chairman, Davy Collins, Secretary- Past Shanahan. Treasurer, John Keavey and Pro, Emanon de Stafford.
Comhaltas are very proud that the Roscrea branch has continued to flourish without a break since that date. Currently, the branch has 80 members and remains very active with weekly sessions and regular visits to local nursing homes and St Anne's houses. The branch is more than willing to provide entertainment, music, song and dance for concerts, carol singing and other functions.
During, the years many of its members have brought glory and honour to the branch at county, provincial and All-Ireland level.
Recently the Branch has been very busy preparing for the Fleadh
Programme of events for the Fleadh Weekend
Friday evening 16th May:
- Official opening of the County Fleadh and set dancing competitions in Colaiste Phobal.
Saturday 17th May:
- U 12 & U 15 Competitions in Colaiste Phobal.
- Open Air Traditional Music, Song & Dance on the streets Of Roscrea.
- Aifreann - 7.30 pm in St Cronan's Church. Music for the Aifreann provided by the local branch and visiting members.
- Ceili in Grants Hotel. Don't forget to bring your dancing shoes, music will be provided by the lively Ard Erin Band and Fear An Ti for the night is Michael Loughnane. Refreshments will be provided and great craic guaranteed.
Sunday 18th Of May:
- U - 18 Senior Competitions in Colaiste Phobal.
- Open air traditional music, song and dance on the streets of Roscrea. This should be a very exciting day on the streets of Roscrea, as Main Street, Roscrea, is also the venue on Sunday the 18th of May, for the first stage finish of this years prestigious FBD Milk Rs.
Comhaltas would like to thank all those who have sponsored the Fleadh so far and anyone who wishes to do so can contact the Runa, Pat Flanagan at 22176. The branch would also like to thank all those who supported the Flag Day last Saturday.
On a final note there will be a photographic exhibition very soon spanning the years since the branch was founded. The committee would like if past members would loan them old photos. These photos will be returned as it is proposed to copy them. Please leave photos into Roscrea Credit Union for the attention of Dick Conroy. Any notes, stories etc as regard the photos, would be most welcome. Please ensure you leave your name and contact address with the photos.
We congratulate Comhaltas on their huge achievements over the years and we wish them every success with what will prove to be a thrilling and wonderfully entertaining weekend from the 16th to the 18th of May.